Monday, March 19, 2012

sweet sixteen

I can't really believe it, but Emmalie will turn 16 tomorrow.  It's amazing how quickly the time has gone, and how she's grown from this:




to this:



To commemorate her special day, I decided to write the following to Emm...

Sixteen Things I Love About You
(in no particular order)


  1. I love that you're a girl, and that I have someone around who understands the female perspective in this testosterone-filled house!
  2. I love that even though you can be the typical first-born at times, bossing your siblings around (just like I used to), you are a really good big sister most of the time.  Your brothers are lucky to have you in their life!
  3. I love that even though you're in high school, you still take the time to (voluntarily!) hug me, Dad, and your brothers  -- and tell us you love us -- every day.
  4. I love that you are such a thoughtful, caring, compassionate person.  You get angry about injustice in the world, and go out of your way to be kind to others.
  5. I love that you are brilliant. :)  I am constantly amazed by how smart you are, and how quickly you learn new things.
  6. I love that you take your education seriously and work so hard to stay at the top of your class.  I'm so proud of you!
  7. I love that you have such a huge vocabulary.  I knew when you turned one and could say over a hundred words that language was one thing you'd always be good at.  Then, at two you started (correctly) using words like "iridescent", and that idea was confirmed.  Now, not only do you have more words in your personal lexicon than most adults, but you've also been soaking up another language and adding new Japanese words to your vocabulary every day!
  8. I love that you are so creative -- always drawing or painting or writing or making other wonderful artwork.
  9. I love that you are a talented actress.  I always loved putting on plays for my family when I was little, but was way too shy to act in front of other people.  I love getting to watch you on stage.  I'm so proud of you, my shining star! :)
  10. I love how you always keep busy and are constantly multi-tasking... sketching while watching tv, knitting while sitting in class... always doing two or more things at the same time (and doing them well, besides)!
  11. I love how confident you are!  (I wish I had half your confidence.) You march to the beat of your own drum, and don't care that you're not just like everybody else.
  12. I love how hard-working and responsible you are.  All the adults who know you... family, teachers, directors, people at church... know that they can trust you and depend on you.
  13. I love your off-beat sense of humor.  (You fit right in with our silly family, LOL!)  You and your brothers make me laugh every day.
  14. I love that you are an avid (and speedy) reader, like me.  I love being able to share the pure joy of books with you!
  15. I love your independent spirit.  When you are determined to do something, you dig right in and get started. You like to be able to do things on your own. You also know your own mind, and rarely let others influence what you think.
  16. Last, but certainly not least... Ever since I was a little girl, the thing I wanted most in my life was to be a mom.  I love that, sixteen years ago, you came into the world and made my dream come true!  Now my beautiful, wonderful baby girl has grown into a beautiful, wonderful young woman.  I couldn't ask for a better daughter, and I am so happy to be your mom.  Love you, sweetie!
Happy, happy sweet 16, Emm!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home