Thursday, November 02, 2006

baby talk

I just love baby talk, when little ones are figuring out the whole language thing. B is at this stage right now, and I find it fascinating to watch him developing his words. You can almost see the little wheels turning in his head... :) He doesn't have many actual words yet, but he is very good at communicating, nonetheless. Besides lots of pointing and this high-pitched scream that means "Hey, I need some help, here!", this is what Benjamin is saying at 13 months old:



  • meow = kitty or anything soft. He says this one a lot!
  • dada = Daddy, of course
  • ah duh = all done/all gone. He also says this instead of bye-bye or night-night, I guess because he's all done seeing that person, LOL. This is almost always accompanied by a wave, even when it's food that is now all gone, or water that is going down the drain.
  • wuh wuh = doggy (woof woof)
  • boon = balloon and sometimes moon
  • ba = ball or anything at all in the shape of a circle!
  • sniff = flower
  • ooo-ooo = monkey (both he and Nick have several stuffed monkeys in their room)
  • ssss = snake (he has two of the stuffed variety, twined around the bars on his crib)
  • ch = cheese, one of his favorite foods!
  • slurp = I'm thirsty
  • uh, uh = I want up!
  • bo = his blankie
  • buh-buh = his stuffed bunny that Grandma Bev gave him, which he sleeps with every night
  • mmmmm = yummy!
  • brroooom = car/truck
  • kissing noise = kiss
  • wah-wah = penguin (waddle-waddle) This comes with a little back-and-forth motion of the head. How many one-year-olds know what a penguin is? LOL (Mommy just has a *few* penguin things around the house....)

Ben also can nod his head yes, shake his head no, and make the signs for "more" and "please".

And for today's list of things I am thankful for:

  • Orange juice. Some people need their coffee in the morning; I need my OJ, low or no pulp, please. It helps wake me up, and it tastes so yummy! :)
  • Days at home. We only have one car, so usually I have to take George to work (and pick him up again at night) so that I can run errands during the day. I love it when, like today, I have no where to go and he can drive himself to work! I can get so much more accomplished at home when I don't have to play taxi driver!
  • Christine, my sister. (HUGS to you, C, if you're reading this!) She called us last night, and it was so good to talk to her. I miss her lots! She's one of the few people who can make me laugh until I cry. She is soooo talented with her sewing and other artistic pursuits, and has shared so many of her creations with us (costumes, quilts, stained glass, etc.). She's the best aunt ever to my kiddos. She's been there for me, when I needed her. And she loves me, even though I forced her to play school (over and over again) when we were little. :) I love you, Christine, and am very thankful to have you for my sister!

Me and Christine, back in 1973:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, gosh. I should hire you as my PR agent. I guess you're a pretty good sister, too. :)

November 03, 2006 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, gosh. I should hire you as my PR agent. I guess you're a pretty good sister, too. :)

November 03, 2006 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so overcome with emotion I accidently posted it twice. Hee hee.

November 03, 2006 5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Janelle! You are soo lucky to have C as your sister! But whos older? I couldnt tell by the pic?? I envy your trip to Archivers! I almost hate getting the flyers cause the closest to me is almost 2 hrs!! Tell her those costumes will be cherished family heirlooms!

November 04, 2006 5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops that last post was by Laura :)

November 04, 2006 6:00 AM  
Blogger Janelle said...

Ahem. I'm the oldest. Christine is five years younger than me... and doesn't let me forget it! LOL

November 04, 2006 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home