Wednesday, March 19, 2008

bookworms unite!

I just LOVE to read (always have!), and am happy to say that my kiddos seem to be following in my footsteps. Emmalie is, for sure! I recently scrapped some pictures of her reading, along with something she said to me one day after school, "As Thomas Jefferson once said, 'I cannot live without books.'" She is rarely without a book in her hand:

Nick isn't really into reading fiction, but he does love any non-fiction books about animals. (That shouldn't be a surprise, LOL.) And Ben doesn't read yet (though he knows all his letters!), but he sure loves it when we read to him!

Last week Katie challenged us to blog about what we've been reading. It seemed to be a perfect challenge for me, yet somehow I never got around to it until now....

I've been in a book club for several years now. We've been meeting once a month to discuss books and just enjoy a night out. It looks like the club is going to be disbanded now, and I am very sad about that. I've always looked forward to going! One thing I've loved about it is that I've been exposed to many different books that I probably would've never picked out to read on my own. I almost always end up enjoying them!

A few days ago, I finished reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, our last book club book. It's a very well written autobiography that I could not put down! It's amazing to me that the author even survived her childhood, let alone managed to be so successful as an adult.

Another book I read this month (also for book club) was Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. It was another true story, about Greg and how he began building schools (primarily for girls) in Pakistan and Afghanistan, trying to promote peace through education. It was a very interesting and inspirational book. You can find out more about Greg's important programs at the following sites: Three Cups of Tea and Pennies for Peace.

Image Courtesy of Greg Mortenson

Another good book I read recently was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This book is fiction, and quite entertaining. I was hooked from the very beginning, and enjoyed it all the way through!

Currently I am reading Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Actually, I've been reading it for several months now. That may surprise those of you who know me well, because I read quite fast and it's virtually unheard of for it to take me months to read something ~ I don't know if I've ever taken so long before! The book started out very slow for me, and I kept falling asleep, LOL! I don't like to give up on books, though ~ I keep reading them till I'm done, even if I'm not particularly enjoying them. I'm finally over halfway done with it now, and am liking it more now. I may even finish it before the end of March! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_6369712_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=046WW4CWXJM8B07SH1MF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=371797501&pf_rd_i=507846

March 19, 2008 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home