Tuesday, June 03, 2008

lordy lordy

Waaaay back in 1987, my parents turned 40. Mom, Christine, and I helped our friends Nan and Christa decorate the ISU Forestry Department hallway and offices with "Over the Hill" stuff on the evening of March 23rd... because Dad and our friend Steve both had their 40th birthdays the following day. To get Mom back, Steve made this sign and put it in our yard the night before Mom's May 15th birthday:
Here is a picture of Nan (who'd just graduated from ISU) and Mom at the little party we had for them. Mom's cake says, "Life Begins at 40":Anyway, I had just started dating George that May, and when he saw the sign, he laughed and laughed and laughed. He laughed a little too much because my mom never forgot about it, and has been threatening him for 21 years now that she would get him back! (George told her last week, "If I'd known you would be my mother-in-law someday, I probably wouldn't have laughed about it so much!")

Well, the time for revenge has come! George will turn 40 on June 11th, and for several days now, he's been receiving 2 or 3 cards a day in the mail, from some "anonymous" source. (Funny, though... I recognize the handwriting on the envelopes... and the postmarks all say Iowa... heheheh....): We are guessing there may be 40 cards in all by the time this is over! Several of the cards have been filled with this confetti:
and many others have included typewritten jokes about old people. Even though I'll be turning 40 just two days after George, I've been laughing right along with the kids as he opens his latest cards each day! George keeps asking, "What do you suppose I have to do to make it stop?" I told him I don't think we have enough money... LOL!

Lordy, lordy, we're almost 40!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How fun that he is getting all of those cards!

Happy 40th Birthday George!

June 09, 2008 5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home